On 27 September, Shrewsbury and Telford Hospital Trust’s (SaTH) Board agreed to implement a temporary overnight closure of the PRH’s A&E unit.
They expect this to happen in mid-November, unless the NHS can find a solution to prevent what SaTH admit is an avoidable situation.
SaTH say the key issue is the difficulty in recruiting middle grade doctors and nursing staff to work in A&E, but believe that the NHS with national leadership could work together help to resolve this situation.
On September 28, the Council leader Shaun Davies wrote to the Secretary of State for Health urging him to meet and discuss how to help stop the overnight closure of the PRH’s A&E.
If the overnight closure goes ahead, this would make Telford the largest town in the UK without a full 24/7 A&E service.
Many people are asking us – “How can I help stop this happening?”
Here’s some things anyone can do to help stop the overnight closure of PRH’s A&E:
Sign our petition
Support the online Government petition Cllr Davies has started and urge as many people as possible to do likewise – this urges the Government and NHS nationally to intervene and stop the overnight closure of the PRH’s A&E. If 100,000 people back this, there will be a parliamentary debate on the issue.
Write to the Secretary of State for Health and Social Care
Urge the Secretary of State for Health and Social Care to intervene by writing to him or emailing him.
Rt Hon Matt Hancock MP
Secretary of State for Health and Social Care
House of Commons
Westminster, London W1A 0AA
Write to your MP
These MPs are those with constituencies that will be most affected by the overnight closure of PRH’s A&E
• Telford - Lucy Allan MP, Suite 1, Preston House, Hawkesworth Road, Central Park, Telford, TF2 9TU firstname.lastname@example.org
• The Wrekin - Mark Pritchard MP 25 Church Street, Wellington, TF1 1DG email@example.com
• North Shropshire - Owen Paterson MP, House of Commons, Westminster, London W1A 0AA Patersono@parliament.uk
• South Shropshire – Philip Dunne MP, House of Commons, Westminster, London W1A 0AA firstname.lastname@example.org
• Stafford – Jeremy Lefroy MP, House of Commons, Westminster, London W1A 0AA email@example.com
• Stone – Sir Bill Cash MP, House of Commons, Westminster, London W1A 0AA firstname.lastname@example.org
• South Staffordshire – Rt Hon Gavin Williamson MP, House of Commons, Westminster, London W1A 0AA email@example.com
Join our email newsletter
This is a fast changing situation – sign up to receive email updates to stay in the know on what you can do to help protect our local hospital services.